In a previous article, we discussed the impact of landed costs and the reasons for their automation. Following this topic, we review the main requirements for choosing the most efficient automated solution.
Functionality requirements for the software
You will surely want a solution for prompt, accurate and flexible allocation. So, when choosing the software, pay attention to the following factors:
- Will the required dimensions be covered according to your needs? For example, according to weight, volume, products amount and whether they must be allocated in equal parts into the lines.
- Will you be able to automatically allocate the landed costs for several suppliers’ accounts?
- Is the partial allocation of landed costs available?
- Can you make corrections?
- Is the revocation available? This is a very important functionality, but only few software manufacturers provide this option.
Also, take into account such “soft” factors as:
- Simplicity of usage.
- Promptness of the actions.
- Minimization of risks.
- Intuitivity of the graphic user interface.
Software application and development
The software must be easily integratable into your enterprise resource planning system. So, an extension of your current ERP system would be the best.
Ask about updates. You don’t like to purchase new software every time the main system is updated, do you?
Reliability of the manufacturer
This is difficult to measure, but it’s always a key factor. Find it out and include the following aspects into the agreement :
- Will this software be developed in the future to meet the market requirements?
- Will you have prompt and attentive support in case you need it?
Finally, have a look at the feedback on this software. Moreover, pay special attention to the ratings, achievements, and certifications of the software manufacturer.
Author: Daiva Jakštienė, CMO at GO-ERP